Thursday, February 14, 2013

Almost there...

My wife gave me a wonderful Valentines present...time out in the garage.  Each time I'm out there I know I'm getting closer to getting the body off the drive train.  Earlier this week I was able to disconnect and drain all the brake lines.  I'm not going to be able to salvage the lines though.  There are a few of the fittings that just don't want to come off the master cylinder.  I've looked through the Speedway catalog and brake lines aren't that expensive.  That and I doubt I could really reuse much of it anyway.

So my son and I worked hard tonight to try to get the body and drive train separated.  I read that you can just remove all the nuts/bolts besides the tops of the shock towers while it was up, then lower it to remove them, and then lift the body off.  I didn't trust to have everything just hanging there, so I left one bolt in each corner before lowering the car down onto boards.  That's as low as I can get and still keep the rotors off the ground.

So all I need to do is remove 12 bolts/nuts, disconnect the fuel lines, and disconnect the clutch line before it's ready for a test lift.  If all goes well, the body will be ready for the chopping block by the end of the weekend.  Then I will need to build a dolly to go under the engine & transmission.  I want to keep them connected and leave them alone until I'm ready to actually work on them.  Just plan on sealing up it's holes, covering it, and rolling it into a corner.

My goal is to start on the frame in the beginning of April.  Next month will be hectic with spring break and me finishing my degree.  The only goal I have for next month is building the Build Table.  I need to sell some more parts to cover the next investment.  I need welding gas, steel, and material for my table.  I'm still at $1000 cost so far, but it sure has been worth it.  I've really enjoyed taking this car apart and spending time with my son.

I can't wait to start on the frame with him.  I even bought him his own welding helmet this week.  I figure I will do the cutting, he will clamp it to the table, and I will take weld it.  He plans to take Welding Merit Badge at summer camp this year.  Maybe after that I'll let him take a few (unimportant) welds?

No comments:

Post a Comment